If you love jalapeno poppers you are going to go crazy for these jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwiches! They are loaded with cheese, bacon, a little spice, and a ton of deliciousness!
Is there an appetizer you love to get when you go out to eat?
I have quite a few, you know the things you eat too much of and then don’t want your dinner? One that’s on my list?
Jalapeno Poppers. Yummo!!
So I decided that there had to be someway to make Jalapeno Poppers and call them dinner. And this my friends is it.
These are seriously delicious. Sometimes I know that I have a hit on my hands when it makes my family cuss.
In a good way, food that’s so good that you drop an f-bomb, you know it’s a winner.
These are super easy, super delicious, and satisfy any popper craving!
A few things to mention before we get to the recipe.
#1- I used 1/2 a cup (about 4) of jalapeno for these. I don’t like a ton of heat, if you want them to be spicer you can use a hotter pepper or up the amount of jalapeno.
#2- The number of sandwiches you can make may vary. I like to use a fresh loaf of bread for these and since the ends of Italian or sourdough bread are smaller you get a variety of sizes of sandwiches. You should be able to get at least 6-8 good size sandwiches with this recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwiches-
-Sourdough or Italian bread (or other sturdy bread of your choice) 12-16 slices
– 1 pkg (1lb) Bacon
-1 brick Cream Cheese (softened)
-8 Slices Sharp Cheddar Cheese
– 1/2 Cup diced Jalapenos 3-4 peppers
-1/2 Cup diced Onion -1 Tbsp Olive Oil -6-8 Tbsp. Butter or Olive Oil
First, cook your bacon, I like to bake mine so that I don’t have to babysit while I do everything else. I bake it on a foil lined cookie sheet at 350 for about 20 min.
Next heat your olive oil in a small skillet and add in the onion. Cook over medium heat until soft and translucent, then add in the jalapeno pepper. Sautee the pepper for about 10 minutes or until soft.
Then remove your peppers and onions from the heat and mix them together with the softened cream cheese until well blended.
Now spread butter or olive oil on one side of each of your bread slices.
Then on the non buttered side spread a thick layer of your onion, jalapeno, cream cheese mixture.
Next add a couple of slices of bacon on top of the cream cheese mixture.
Then top that with a slice of cheese and the other slice of bread (buttered side out)
Now preheat a skillet or panini press to medium/high and place you sandwiches on to grill.
The time you’ll need to grill them will vary depending on what kind of bread you’ve chosen and how crispy you like them. I do mine for about 4-5 minutes on each side until they are nice and golden brown and crispy.
Now serve them up and enjoy their deliciousness!!
- 16- Slices fresh Italian or sourdough bread
- 8- Slices Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 8 oz. Brick of Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1/2- Cup Diced Jalapeno (about 3-4)
- 1/2- Cup Diced Onion
- 1- Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb. Bacon
- 6-8 Tbsp Butter or Olive Oil
- Cook bacon according to package directions or using your preferred method.
- In a small skillet heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat and add in diced onions. Cook for about 10 minutes or until translucent, add in diced jalapeno and continuing cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Combine onions, jalapenos and cream cheese in a bowl , stirring until well combined.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter or olive oil.
- On the unbuttered side of your bread spread a thick layer of the cream cheese mixture. Top it with a couple slices of bacon, a slice of cheddar cheese and a second piece of bread (butter side out)
- Repeat until all sandwiches are assembled.
- In a skillet or panini press grill your sandwiches over med/high heat for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until desired level of crispiness is reached.