Grinch Crinkle Cookies
These Grinch crinkle cookies are a delicious soft, minty cookies that are perfect for the holiday season! Whether you’re watching your favorite holiday movie, having a Christmas party or cookie exchange these cookies are always a hit!
When it comes to Christmas cookies these simple homemade Grinch crinkle cookies are as tasty and festive as it gets! Their bright green color, heart sprinkles, and minty flavor are the perfect combination! These homemade grinch cookies are a holiday treat with a wonderfully crispy exterior and soft chewy interior. They are perfect with a glass of milk, cup of coffee, or mug of cocoa!
We love to make a batch of these holiday cookies to snack on while watching “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” but they are perfect throughout the whole Christmas season. While the green cookies and red candy heart make you think of the classic movie, they are also traditional holiday colors that are perfect for any occasion. If you’re looking for a holiday treat for parties, bake sales or cookie exchanges these crinkly chewy cookies are perfect!
The Grinch is a Dr. Seuss classic that is such a heart warming story. These grinchy-green cookies are topped with a little red heart sprinkle to represent the Grinch’s heart. These Grinch cookies are a delightful holiday treat that everyone loves.
- Other Christmas Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Grinch Fudge– This Grinch fudge is the perfect holiday treat! Whether you whip a batch for a Grinch movie night or for a Christmas gathering this simple fudge makes the perfect addition to all of your holiday festivities!
- Grinch Thumbprint Cookies -These Grinch thumbprint cookies are a delicious, buttery cookie that is filled with a sweet vanilla frosting.
- Grinch Rice Krispie Treats These tasty Grinch rice krispie treats are the perfect holiday treat! Chewy, crunchy rice krispies treats are drizzled with melted green chocolate for the perfect dessert!
- Grinch Pretzel Bites These sweet and salty Grinch pretzel bites are perfect for holiday festivities or a Grinch movie night! Made with pretzels, caramels and dipped in chocolate they are a tasty, cute and easy treat!
NOTES & TIPS for making Grinch Cookies-
While classic crinkle cookies are rolled in powdered sugar I roll these cookies in granulated sugar before baking. You still get the crinkle effect on the top of each cookie, but the perfect shade of Grinch-green isn’t masked by white powdered sugar. The granulated sugar also forms a crisp outside to these soft cookies with a cakey center that makes for a delicious texture!
If you can’t find the red heart sprinkles or prefer to decorate the cookies a different way, red royal icing is a great way to add a little heart!
Use gel food coloring– To achieve the perfect Grinch green of these cookies it requires the correct food coloring. I used Wilton’s Green Leaf gel food coloring and I love the color they turned out. Gel food coloring works much better than liquid food coloring because it is a more concentrated color so you don’t have to use as much. If you only have liquid green food coloring start with three to four drops and add more to achieve the color you’d like.
How to store these holiday cookies- If you are making these easy green crinkle cookies ahead of time for a Grinch movie night, taking them to a party, or giving as gifts (or have any leftovers) you’ll want to store them in an airtight container. They are best stored in a single layer so that the sugar and heart sprinkles don’t get knocked off but if you need to layer them I recommend placing a piece of parchment or wax paper in between the layers.
Don’t overbake! Because these grinch themed cookies are green it is a little harder to tell if they are done. You want them to have lightly crispy bottoms that will be a light golden brown. The top of the cookies should be cracking and appear set. Don’t wait for the top of the cookie to appear golden then they’ll be overbaked.
Use different extract– While I love to make this recipe with pure vanilla extract and peppermint but I also love to make them with almond extract, or you can also just use vanilla extract if you prefer a more neutral flavor.
Ingredients for this Grinch Cookie Recipe –
2 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
1 ½ Cups Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1/3 Cup Butter (softened to room temperature)
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
½ tsp Peppermint Extract
Leaf Green Gel Food Coloring
1/2 Cup Sugar for rolling
Here’s how to make these recipe for Grinch Crinkle Cookies
Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This helps the cookies bake evenly and keeps them from sticking to the baking sheet.
In a large bowl, using a whisk, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder this helps mix together your dry ingredients and make them light and fluffy.
In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream together softened butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
Add the vanilla and peppermint extracts to the butter and sugar mixture and then eggs one at a time mixing after each addition.
Gradually add in the dry ingredients mixing after each addition until they are all incorporated.
Add a few drops of food coloring and knead the dough until the color is evenly distributed and there are no white streaks through the dough.
Place sugar in a bowl on shallow dish.
Using a cookie scoop or spoon scoop out tablespoon size scoops of cookie dough using a and roll the dough into a ball and then roll each ball in the sugar to coat. Continue rolling the dough into balls and coating them with sugar until all the dough is used.
Place each ball evenly spaced about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly.
Press a heart shaped sprinkle into the center of each dough ball.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until set. The bottom of the cookies should be very slightly golden brown. Allow to cool on the lined baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before moving to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container.
Grinch Crinkle Cookies
- 2 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 ½ Cups Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Butter softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Peppermint Extract
- Leaf Green Gel Food Coloring
- 1/2 Cup Sugar for rolling
- Large Heart Shaped Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl mix together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream together butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- Add in the vanilla and peppermint extracts and then eggs one at a time mixing after each addition.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients mixing after each addition until they are all incorporated.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring and knead the dough until the color is evenly distributed.
- Place sugar in a bowl on shallow dish.
- Scoop out the cookie dough in tablespoon size scoops, roll into a ball and then roll in the sugar to coat.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Press a heart shaped sprinkle into the center of each dough ball.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until set. The bottom of the cookies should be very slightly golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before moving to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.