This chicken fajita casserole is a cheesy, creamy way to enjoy your favorite Mexican food! Made with chicken, peppers, onions, and cheese this casserole is great for anyone even someone on a low carb or keto diet! It is the perfect easy weeknight dinner!
For your convenience, this post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you.
One of my favorite things to get when we go out to the local Mexican restaurant is fajitas. The mix of peppers, onions, and delicious seasoned meat covered with cheese is so simple and delicious!
I love to make fajitas at home and this casserole takes them up a notch! Not only do you get the peppers and onions and chicken but it is all covered in a delicious creamy sauce that makes them even better than your favorite restaurant!
This delicious casserole is perfect for a busy weeknight! The tender chicken, melted cheese, and fajita veggies combine to create a cheesy casserole that everyone loves. The great thing about this casserole is it is not only delicious but it is also healthy! Full of lean meat and veggies it is full of important nutrients and it is also low carb!
This is a great dish for the entire family and if you have family members who are following a low carb or keto diet they can enjoy it without any substitutions! This keto chicken fajita casserole is a great base for a family dinner or dinner party where everyone can tweak it for their diet and taste!
Posts you might have missed
- Instant Pot Broccoli & Cheddar Soup
- Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole
- White Chocolate & Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
This chicken fajita casserole is super easy, and there are several ways you can customize it for your family to love it even more.
Add toppings– This casserole can be eaten just as is but it is also delicious with chopped avocado or guacamole, a dollop of sour cream, salsa, chopped green onion, green chilies, salsa or even tortilla chips put on top. A drizzle of fresh lime juice is also a great addition to brighten the taste.
Use it as a topping– Spoon this casserole onto a flour tortilla or corn tortilla and roll it up to enjoy. I love to buy the low carb tortillas from Aldi to serve with this casserole! Or spoon it over cooked rice, white rice or brown rice are both tasty! You can even use cauliflower rice for a tasty low carb option!
Make it vegetarian– You can easily swap out the chicken for a vegetarian chicken substitute. I love the Quorn brand, it is delicious in this recipe.
Make it even easier- For this recipe I use boneless skinless chicken breasts however you can use any leftover chicken, pre-cooked chicken strips, or even a rotisserie chicken!
Use ingredients you have- I prefer white meat chicken and red and yellow peppers for this casserole, but you can also use green peppers or chicken thighs. You can also swap out the cheese for the pepper jack, Monterey jack, Mexican blend, or any other mild cheese you have on hand! The recipe includes directions for using cooked or uncooked chicken so you can use whatever you have!
Here’s what you’ll need for this Chicken Fajita Casserole
The exact measurements can be found in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post
- Medium Size Onion – You can use a yellow, white or red onion, or if you like it a little sweeter Vidalia onions work well too!
- Red and Yellow Peppers – I prefer yellow and red bell peppers because they are sweet and flavorful. If you would rather use a green bell pepper they are delicious in this too!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts- I prefer breasts in this recipe but you can also use chicken thighs, or chicken tenderloins if you don’t want to have to do a lot of slicing. This recipe can be made starting with raw or cooked chicken so it is a great way to use leftover chicken or meal prep ahead of time!
- Olive Oil- This is for sautéing your peppers and onions, you can use another oil if there is one you prefer.
- Cream Cheese- I use full fat cream cheese but you can use low fat (check the carbs if you are wanting this to be keto) you’ll need it to be softened so take it out to come to room temperature before cooking.
- Cheddar Cheese- I like to use sharp cheddar. You can shred a brick of cheese yourself or buy pre-shredded cheese for an easy shortcut
- Cumin, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder & Smoked Paprika- These spices blend together to create the perfect fajita spices. You’ll want to make sure that your spices are nice and fresh so that they are flavorful. You can use packaged taco seasoning but I prefer to blend spices myself to create the perfect flavor.
- Salt & Pepper
Other Casseroles You’ll Love
Here’s how to make this Fajita Casserole
**You can make this recipe using raw or cooked chicken, the steps are the same, but the cooking time will vary.
The first thing you’ll want to do is preheat your oven and grease a 13×9 baking pan. If you are using raw chicken preheat to 400 if you are using pre-cooked chicken preheat to 350.
Now heat your olive oil in a skillet on the stove over medium heat, I like to use a large cast iron skillet, add in your onions and peppers and sauté for about 15 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the pepper are starting to soften.
While your peppers and onions are cooking, in a large mixing bowl combine your cream cheese, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and 1/2 of your shredded cheese.
Once your peppers and onions are finished add them to the cream cheese mixture and mix until they are evenly coated.
Now it is time to assemble the casserole.
Place your chicken in the bottom of your prepared 13×9 pan, if you are using raw chicken sprinkle it witl salt and pepper to season.
Next spread your pepper and onion mixture across the chicken.
Finally sprinkle the remainder of your shredded cheese across the top.
Pop the casserole in the oven and bake. If you are using raw chicken bake for 30-40 minutes, if you are using cooked chicken bake for 20-25 minutes.
Serve with desired toppings, and enjoy!
What to serve with this casserole-
This casserole is delicious by itself but if you want to serve it up with a side dish here are some great options –
Black Beans– Well seasoned black beans make a great tasty and healthy side dish for this casserole.
Green Salad– A simple side salad is a great addition to your plate with this casserole. It adds veggies, texture and a is a nice light dish next to the creamy cheese fajita chicken casserole.
Spanish Rice- Whether you make it from scratch or a mix from the store, Spanish rice makes a tasty side that compliments the taste of the casserole.
Shop this recipe-
- 1 Medium Size Onion (sliced)
- 3 Red and Yellow Peppers (sliced)
- 1 1/2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken sliced into strips (cooked or uncooked)
- 1-2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese (shredded) or 2 Cups pre-shredded cheese
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven - 400 if using raw chicken 350 if using cooked chicken, grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In a skillet over medium heat saute olive oil peppers and onions. Cook for about 15 minutes or until onion is translucent and peppers are softening.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl combine cream cheese cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and 1/2 of your shredded cheese. Add in cooked peppers and onions and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread chicken across the bottom of your baking pan. If using raw chicken sprinkle with salt and pepper to season.
- Spread the pepper mixture across the chicken and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes if using raw chicken 20-25 if using cooked chicken.
- Serve with toppings and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 591mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 40g