Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole
Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole is loaded with tender chicken, colorful bell peppers, and onions, but it also features a hint of spicy seasoning and melty cheese to bring it all together. Whether you’re meal prepping for the week or looking for a quick and easy dinner option, this casserole is sure to become a family favorite.
One of my favorite things to get when we go out to the local Mexican restaurant is fajitas. The mix of peppers, onions, and delicious seasoned meat covered with cheese is so simple and delicious!
I love to make fajitas at home and this casserole takes them up a notch! Not only do you get the peppers and onions and chicken but it is all covered in a delicious creamy sauce and fajita seasoning that makes them even better than your favorite restaurant!
This delicious casserole recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight! Loaded with juicy chicken, melted cheese, and fajita veggies this is a wonderful recipe that everyone loves. The great thing about this casserole is it is not only delicious but it is also healthy! Full of lean meat and veggies it is full of important nutrients and it is also low carb!
This is a great dish for the entire family and if you have family members who are following a low carb or keto diet they can enjoy it without any substitutions! This keto chicken fajita casserole is a great base for a family dinner or dinner party where everyone can tweak it for their diet and taste! It is a keto recipe that can be served to everyone!
- Other Recipes You’ll Love–
- California Burritos– If you’re a fan of Mexican food, then you’ve probably heard of the famous California burrito. Flour tortillas are packed with delicious marinated carne asada, crispy French fries, avocado crema, Pico de Gallo and shredded cheese.
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas– These creamy chicken enchiladas are such a delicious and easy dinner! Tender chicken, creamy sauce, and just a little spice make these the perfect meal!
- Easy Enchilada Casserole- This enchilada casserole has all the delicious flavors of enchiladas with a fraction of the effort! Layers of sauce, meat, cheese and tortillas combine to create a delicious combination that your family is sure to love!
FAQ & Tips for making this Fajita Chicken Casserole recipe
This chicken fajitas casserole is super easy, and there are several ways you can customize it for your family to love it even more.
Add toppings– This casserole can be eaten just as is but it is also delicious with chopped avocado or guacamole, a dollop of sour cream, salsa, chopped green onion, green chilies, salsa or even tortilla chips put on top. A drizzle of fresh lime juice is also a great addition to brighten the taste.
Use it as a topping– Spoon this chicken casserole recipe onto a flour tortilla or corn tortilla and roll it up to enjoy. I love to buy the low carb tortillas from Aldi to serve with this casserole! Or spoon it over cooked rice, white rice or brown rice are both tasty! You can even serve it with a side of cauliflower rice for a tasty low carb option!
Make it vegetarian– You can easily swap out the chicken for a vegetarian chicken substitute. I love the Quorn brand, it is delicious in this recipe.
Make it even easier- For this recipe I use boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts however you can use any leftover chicken, pre-cooked chicken strips, or even a rotisserie chicken!
Use ingredients you have- I prefer white meat chicken and red and yellow peppers for this casserole, but you can also use green peppers or chicken thighs. You can also swap out the shredded cheddar cheese for pepper jack cheese, Monterey jack, Mexican blend, or any other mild cheese you have on hand! The recipe includes directions for using cooked or uncooked chicken so you can use whatever you have!
Can I use fajita seasoning mix? I like to use individual spices for this chicken fajita casserole recipe to achieve a perfect blend that I love. However if you prefer you can use a packet of fajita seasonings to save time and buying spices.
Can I make this casserole ahead of time? Absolutely! This a great recipe for meal prep! It is delicious and easy and it stores beautifully! Just follow the recipe and assemble the casserole but don’t bake it. You can then wrap it in plastic wrap and place in the fridge. When you are ready to bake just follow the baking instructions. It may take 5-10 extra minutes to heat through. Because the chicken is cooked it stores well for 2-3 days before baking so it is a great dinner recipe to make and have on hand for busy nights!
Here’s what you’ll need for this Chicken Fajita Casserole Recipe
The exact measurements can be found in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post
- Medium Size Onion – You can use a yellow, white or red onion, or if you like it a little sweeter Vidalia onions work well too!
- Red and Yellow Peppers – I prefer yellow and red bell peppers because they are sweet and flavorful. If you would rather use a green bell pepper they are delicious in this too!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts– I prefer breasts in this recipe but you can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead, or chicken tenderloins if you don’t want to have to do a lot of slicing. You can also make this recipe with your favorite chicken shredded chicken, leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken make great options.
- Olive Oil- This is for sautéing your peppers and onions, you can use another oil if there is one you prefer.
- Cream Cheese– I use full fat cream cheese but you can use low fat (check the carbs if you are wanting this to be keto) you’ll need it to be softened so take it out to come to room temperature before cooking.
- Cheddar Cheese- I like to use sharp cheddar. You can shred a brick of cheese yourself or buy pre-shredded cheese for an easy shortcut
- Cumin, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder & Smoked Paprika– These spices blend together to create the perfect fajita spices. You’ll want to make sure that your spices are nice and fresh so that they are flavorful. You can use packaged taco seasoning but I prefer to blend spices myself to create the perfect flavor.
- Salt & Pepper
Here’s how to make this Fajita Casserole
The first thing you’ll want to do is preheat your oven and spray a 9×13 casserole dish or baking dish with cooking spray.
Cut the chicken into strips or chunks. Season them with salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Heat olive oil in a skillet and place the chicken in the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side before turning. Cook the chicken until it is fully cooked. Remove from the pan.
Next, in the same skillet, pour more olive oil and add in your onions and peppers and sauté for about 15 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the pepper are starting to soften.
While your peppers and onions are cooking, in a large mixing bowl combine your cream cheese, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and 1/2 of your shredded cheese.
Once your peppers and onions are finished add them to the cream cheese mixture and mix until they are evenly coated.
Now it is time to assemble the casserole.
Put the chicken in the bottom of your prepared 13×9 pan
Next spread your pepper and onion mixture across the chicken.
Finally sprinkle the remainder of your shredded cheese across the top.
Pop the casserole in the oven and bake. Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through
Serve with desired toppings, and enjoy!
What to serve with this casserole-
This casserole is delicious by itself but if you want to serve it up with a side dish here are some great options –
Black Beans– Well seasoned black beans make a great tasty and healthy side dish for this casserole.
Green Salad– A simple side salad is a great addition to your plate with this casserole. It adds veggies, texture and a is a nice light dish next to the creamy cheese fajita chicken casserole.
Spanish Rice- Whether you make it from scratch or a mix from the store, Spanish rice makes a tasty side that compliments the taste of the casserole.
Easy Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole
This chicken fajita casserole is a cheesy, creamy way to enjoy your favorite Mexican food! Made with chicken, peppers, onions, and cheese this casserole is great for anyone even someone on a low carb or keto diet! It is the perfect easy weeknight dinner!
- 1 Medium Size Onion (sliced)
- 3 Red and Yellow Peppers (sliced)
- 1 1/2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken sliced into strips (cooked or uncooked)
- 1-2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese (shredded) or 2 Cups pre-shredded cheese
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven - 400 if using raw chicken 350 if using cooked chicken, grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In a skillet over medium heat saute olive oil peppers and onions. Cook for about 15 minutes or until onion is translucent and peppers are softening.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl combine cream cheese cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and 1/2 of your shredded cheese. Add in cooked peppers and onions and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread chicken across the bottom of your baking pan. If using raw chicken sprinkle with salt and pepper to season.
- Spread the pepper mixture across the chicken and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes if using raw chicken 20-25 if using cooked chicken.
- Serve with toppings and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 591mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 40g
[…] you might have missed Family Fun In Winter Weather Easy Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar […]
[…] Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole […]
[…] Chicken Fajita Casserole […]
[…] Easy Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole […]
[…] Creamy Chicken Fajita Casserole– This chicken fajita casserole is a cheesy, creamy way to enjoy your favorite Mexican food! Made with chicken, peppers, onions, and cheese this casserole is great for anyone even someone on a low carb or keto diet! It is the perfect easy weeknight dinner! […]