Blackened corn is a simple and flavorful side dish that is easy and delicious! Made with sweet corn, melted butter, and a homemade blackening seasoning, it is a tasty side to serve with any meal!
Black corn is a delicious side dish that’s perfect for any occasion. It’s made by seasoning and charring corn in a hot skillet with blackening seasoning and butter for added flavor. This dish is a crowd favorite because of its bold taste and versatility. Plus, it’s quick and easy to prepare, making it the perfect choice for busy weeknights or last-minute get-togethers!
We love corn, whether it is fresh corn on the cob in the summer or corn casserole alongside our Thanksgiving dinner it is always a hit in our house! This blackened corn recipe is one of our favorites because of how easy and delicious it is!
Corn kernels are charred in a cast iron skillet and topped with delicious spices and melted butter! The effect is a flavorful, salty, toasted flavor that is delicious! This corn makes an amazing side dish, great topping for salads or pasta, and it is easy to customize with your favorite spices, fresh herbs and add ins like cheese or veggies! This charred corn recipe is also a great base for corn salsa!
- Other Posts You’ll Love
- Zucchini and Corn Fritters– Zucchini and corn fritters are delicious golden brown patties filled with fresh zucchini, sweet corn and a blend of flavorful spices. They are a perfect side dish, snack or even a vegetarian main course.
- 50 Easy Side Dishes for a Cookout- Looking for something easy and delicious to bring to your next cookout or barbeque? These tasty salads and sides are always crowd pleasers for any gathering!
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Burgers– These chicken bacon ranch burgers (also called crack chicken burgers) are a delicious blend of chicken, bacon, ranch flavor and cheddar cheese.
FAQ, Tips & Variations-
What kind of corn is best?
For this recipe I like to use frozen corn, it tends to be nice and firm and has nice flavor. You can also use fresh corn or canned corn to make this recipe if you’d like. If you use fresh corn you’ll want it to be cooked and you’ll need to slice the kernels of corn from the cob. You can use leftover corn on the cob that is already cooked or steam the kernels before making this blackened corn. No matter what kind you use make sure it is well drained and place the corn on paper towels to pat it dry before cooking.
This is a great side dish recipe because you can easily tweak it! You can change up the seasonings to make it spicier if you’d like, cayenne pepper or cumin make great additions. This is also a great corn to use as base for Mexican street corn, simply add cotija cheese, a squirt of lime juice and a dollop of sour cream to create a delicious corn dish! You can also add other veggies like chopped onions or bell peppers. In the summer I love to make blackened corn and top it with fresh herbs like oregano, fresh cilantro, or chives.
How to get the perfect char-
To achieve the perfect char on your blackened corn, there are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind. Make sure to press the corn into the hot skillet to ensure maximum flavor and color. Use a cast iron skillet over medium heat for the best results. Resist the urge to constantly stir the corn and cook corn for a few minutes before stirring to allow for optimal charring. You can cook the corn as much or as little as you’d like. A lighter color will have a more toasted flavor while letting it cook longer will give it a more charred flavor like grilled corn. Make sure to keep an eye on the corn as it cooks and stir every few minutes to get an even char without burning.
How to store this blackened corn-
This easy blackened corn is the best served fresh but it can be stored if you have leftovers. Simply place it in an airtight container and refrigerate.
Ingredients for Blackened Corn-
2 Cups Corn
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Butter
Here’s how to make Blackened Corn-
In a small bowl stir together seasonings, set aside.
Pat corn kernels dry with a paper towel.
Place olive oil and butter in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
Add the corn into the skillet and sprinkle on the seasoning blend. Stir to coat.
Using a spatula spread the corn evenly across the bottom of the skillet and gently press. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir and turn the corn and gently press it back down and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the corn is golden brown and beginning to darken around the edges. Repeat until the corn is the desired color.
Garnish with fresh herbs if desired serve immediately.
Easy and Delicious Blackened Corn
- 2 Cups Corn
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- In a small bowl stir together seasonings, set aside.
- Pat corn kernels dry with a paper towel.
- Place olive oil and butter in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the corn into the skillet and sprinkle on the seasoning blend. Stir to coat.
- Using a spatula spread the corn evenly across the bottom of the skillet and gently press. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir and turn the corn and gently press it back down and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the corn is golden brown and beginning to darken around the edges. Repeat until the corn is the desired color.
- Serve immediately