Baked ziti is a delicious, hearty, cheesy, classic comfort food that everyone loves! This baked ziti recipe is meat free so it is perfect for vegetarians and everyone loves it!
For your convenience, this post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you.
Baked ziti is such a classic, it is great for family gatherings and parties, perfect for taking to a friend who just had a baby, or making ahead of time for a busy week! No matter why you make it it is always delicious!
Baked ziti is a lot like lasagna but easier to assemble. This recipe is pretty basic so it is super easy to make, there are some tings you can add in if deisred to dress it up!
What can I add to this baked ziti?
This ziti is meatless so it is perfect for vegetarians but if you want you can add in cooked ground beef or crumbled Italian sausage, for this recipe about half a pound is a good amount to add meat but keep the dish well balanced.
You can also add in extra veggies, chopped spinach is delicious in this, you can also add chopped and sauteed veggies like peppers, onions or zucchini, they add in some extra flavor and the goodness of veggies!
What can I serve with baked ziti?
My go-tos for most pasta dishes are a side salad and some kind of bread! I love garlic bread, or I whip up a One Hour Baguette. Another great side is steamed or roasted green veggies like broccoli or asparagus.
- Posts you might have missed
- Over 50 Delicious Side Dishes to Serve With Ham
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Blue Cheese Coleslaw
- Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole
Can I make this Baked Ziti ahead of time?
The short answer is yes!
This baked ziti is a great make ahead meal! You can make it a day or 2 ahead of when you want to cook it and keep it covered in the fridge or pop it in the freezer.
If you’re freezing it here are a couple of tips-
- Use a disposable baking pan- this way you don’t have your baking pans tied up in the freezer. You can just pull them out of the freezer and get ready to bake.
- Thaw before baking- for the best results you’ll want to thaw this in the fridge for about 24 hours before cooking. You can cook directly from frozen with an increased baking time. Start by baking for about an hour covered with foil, and then uncover and bake for the 35 minutes in the recipe instructions.
- Make sure your dish is well sealed, use a layer of plastic wrap and follow it up with aluminum foil for best results. You can write the date you made it & cooking instructions on the top with a sharpie!
Here’s what you’ll need for this Vegetarian Baked Ziti
1 lb box Ziti Pasta
32 oz. Pasta Sauce (about a jar & 1/2, use your favorite brand)
16 oz Ricotta Cheese
2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, (divided)
1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese (divided)
2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1 Tbsp. Parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
- Other Vegetarian Recipes you’ll love
- Vegetarian White Chili
- Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- Vegetarian Air Fryer Taquitos
Here’s how to make this baked ziti
First cook and drain your pasta according to the directions on the box. While your pasta is cooking get your oven preheating to 350.
In a large bowl combine your ricotta cheese, half of the shredded mozzarella and Parmasean, eggs, Italian seasoning, parsley, and garlic and stir until well mixed.
Add the cooked and drained pasta to the cheese mixture and stir until well mixed.
Spread about half of your sauce evenly across the bottom of a 13×9 baking pan.
Add the pasta to the pan pressing in evenly and into the corners.
Top the pasta with remaining sauce, spreading it evenly over the top.
Finally spread the remaining mozzarella and parmasean over the top.
Place it in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Shop this recipe-
- 1 lb box Ziti Pasta
- 32 oz. Pasta Sauce (about a jar & 1/2, use your favorite brand)
- 16 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, (divided)
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese (divided)
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350
- Boil and drain pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine ricotta cheese, eggs, half of the mozzarella and parmesan, parsley, garlic, and Italian seasoning, mix well.
- Add your pasta to the bowl and mix until pasta is evenly coated.
- Spread half of the sauce across the bottom of a 13x9 in pan.
- Spread the pasta and cheese mixture evenly across the sauce pressing down to make it even.
- Cover the pasta with the remaining sauce and spread evenly, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and parmesan across the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.