If you love buffalo flavor you are going to enjoy these buffalo chicken tacos! They are deliciously flavored, moist chicken, topped with buffalo sauce and an easy-to-make blue cheese coleslaw! Perfect for taco night!
For your convenience, this post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you.
I’m going to be honest (don’t hate me!) I am not a huge fan of buffalo wings, I never have been, I have a thing about meat on a bone… but I do love the flavor of buffalo sauce! I have friends who show up to every gathering with buffalo chicken dip and I am always so excited to eat it!
So I wanted to create something that would take the delicious flavor of buffalo chicken and turn it into a meal that the whole family could enjoy!
These come together super quickly (and there are even some simple shortcuts) and they are a hit with the whole family!
These easy buffalo chicken tacos are perfect for busy weeknights! Everyone can load them up with their favorite toppings and make them exactly how they want them! The combination of the warm tortillas, spicy chicken, and creamy blue cheese crumbles gives these quick tacos layers of flavor that make them taste like they took a long time to make! Serve them to friends and family for a simple and delicious dinner party!
- Posts you might have missed
- Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
How to make these buffalo chicken tacos easier-
- Use pre-cooked chicken. These are a great way to use leftover chicken, or you can pick up a rotisserie chicken and use it! I often do big batches of shredded chicken in the Instant pot and this recipe is a great way to use it!
- Cook your chicken ahead of time– whether you batch cook chicken and have it on hand or throw your chicken in the slow cooker so it’s ready when you are! This is a great way to reduce the cook time in the evening!
- Use pre-shredded coleslaw- This is what I use, it makes life so much easier than cutting or shredding the cabbage yourself.
Other toppings you can add to these tacos-
I am a big believer that tacos are an excellent vehicle for all kinds of toppings and these are no exception! While they are amazing with just the blue cheese coleslaw there are other toppings that work really well with these flavors! Of course you can add any of your favorite taco toppings but here are some I recommend!
- Green onions- sliced green onions add a little crunch and flavor.
- Fresh Cilantro- I love cilantro with spicy flavors and it works well with these.
- Fresh Avocado- Creamy avocados add a nice texture and delicious flavor! I like to slice mine but they are good mashed too.
- Sour Cream- this is a classic topping and it works well with these, especially if you want to you want to calm the heat of the hot sauce a little..
- Corn- This one is a little out of the box but corn adds some sweetness and texture.
Substitutions and additions
- Corn Tortillas– A great option if you don’t like flour tortillas! (Or if you need something gluten free!) I recommend crisping them in a skillet for a minute before serving. I like to heat my pan for a few minutes over medium heat, place the tortillas in it for about a minute then flip them over and fold them in half. Then I heat each side of the folded tortilla. That way the inside and outside get crisp!
- Hard Taco Shells– If you are a lover of crunchy tacos you can totally swap out your favorite hard shells for the corn tortillas in this recipe!
- Use Ranch Dressing– I know that people have strong opinions about blue cheese so if you want to omit it I recommend replacing it with ranch dressing. If you want to replace the blue cheese crumbles shredded Monterey jack makes a great option!
Find the exact amounts in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts– Boneless and skinless chicken makes it super easy to chop them up before cooking. You can also use chicken tenderloins or boneless skinless chicken thighs! Thighs have a bit more fat content so you may need to drain them after cooking.
- Buffalo Wing sauce– Not just plain old hot sauce, you want the wing sauce, it is more mild, a little creamy, and it coats the chicken really well! I used Sweet Baby Rays but you can use a different brand. If all you have is something like frank’s red hot sauce or a homemade buffalo sauce you can use it but you’ll want to use less and mix it with a couple of tablespoons of melted butter. Mix it up before adding to the chicken so that you can get the taste just right. Add more if you want a spicy kick less for more mild flavor.
- Shredded Coleslaw Mix– I like to buy a bag of coleslaw pre shredded because it makes this recipe super easy. If you prefer to shred you own cabbage then go right ahead! Green or red cabbage would work just fine (or a blend of both!)
- Blue Cheese Dressing- You can use your favorite brand, you can adjust how much according to your taste!
- Crumbled Blue Cheese- Whatever brand you like the most. You can also adjust this in the recipe depending on how much you like. If you have family members who don’t like it you can omit it in the coleslaw and add more to individual tacos.
- Celery -You’ll want nice fresh crunchy celery.
- Flour Tortillas– You can use taco or burrito size tortillas for this recipe. I like the slightly bigger ones because they’ll hold more! I get low carb tortillas from our local Aldi and they work beautifully!
- Salt & Pepper
- Cooking oil of choice– I like to use olive oil, but if you prefer another oil you can use it. Butter also works well, just watch because it will burn faster than oil.
- Other Chicken Posts you’ll love
- Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Classic Chicken & Dumplings
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Here’s how to make Buffalo Chicken Tacos
The first thing you’ll want to do is get your chicken cooked. It is important to get nice brown color on your chicken so that it has lots of flavor. A cast-iron skillet works best to get nice color but you can use whatever you have. If you are using precooked chicken you can omit these next steps and go straight to coating the chicken with sauce.
After you chop the chicken into bite size pieces gently pat it dry, and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and pepper, stir to coat evenly.
Cover the bottom of a skillet with about 1/4 inch of oil and heat over medium heat, add your chicken pieces in evenly spaced and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until it is golden brown on the outside and there is no pink in the center.
You may need to work in batches to keep your chicken from being crowded in the pan.
Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels, then move to a large mixing bowl.
Pour your buffalo wing sauce over the chicken and stir until everything is evenly coated.
In a separate bowl combine your coleslaw and diced celery. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mixture, start with 1/4 cup and add more to get the desired amount. Add blue cheese and gently fold until everything is evenly mixed.
Warm your tortillas, I put them on a plate in the microwave and cover them with a moist paper towel and heat for about 30 minutes.
Scoop chicken into the center of a tortilla, top with coleslaw mixture, add addtional toppings if desired, fold and enjoy!
What Can I Serve With These Tacos
This easy taco recipe is really a complete meal itself but if you want to add a little something on the side here are a few ideas to round out the dinner table-
Celery Sticks– This is super simple but they are a classic side to any buffalo chicken dish. A little crunch, a cooling effect in your mouth, and they are low calorie and hydrating!
Corn – Especially in the summer one of our favorite things to serve with these tacos is fresh corn on the cob. The sweet corn with the spicy chicken is a delicious combination! This simple corn salad is another great side dish that everyone loves, or just simple steamed frozen corn with a little butter is super tasty!
Side Salad- A simple side salad (grab a bag from the store if you are in a hurry) with some fresh veggies is a great option! You can even dress it with blue cheese dressing so the flavors all match!
- Shop this recipe-
- Sweet Baby Rays Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 15 Inch Cast Iron Skillet
Buffalo Chicken Tacos With Blue Cheese Coleslaw
Want to spice up taco Tuesday? Try these buffalo chicken tacos topped with a delicious blue cheese coleslaw!
- -4- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts chopped into bite-size pieces (approx 4 lbs.)
- -1/3- Cup Buffalo Wing sauce. <---- not just plain old hot sauce, you want the wing sauce. I used Sweet Baby Rays
- -1/2 - A Bag of Shredded Coleslaw.
- -1/4- 1/2- Cup of Blue Cheese Dressing (the amount here depends on your taste. I added it until the coleslaw was nice and covered)
- -1/4- Cup Crumbled Blue Cheese + more for topping
- -2- Stalks of Celery -finely diced
- -Flour Tortillas
- -Salt & Pepper
- -Cooking oil of choice
- Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and pepper toss to coat evenly.
- In a skillet over medium heat about 1/4 inch of oil.
- Add in chicken leaving space between the pieces (work in batches if necessary)
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and no longer pink in the middle.
- Drain on paper towels and move to a large mixing bowl, pour buffalo sauce over the chicken and stir until well coated.
- In a separate bowl combine the coleslaw mix, diced celery, blue cheese and dressing. Stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Heat tortillas, I put them on a plate covered with a damp paper towel and microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Spoon chicken into the center of a tortilla, top with coleslaw, fold and enjoy!
I love tacos and love Buffalo Chicken……what a great combination. I can’t wait to try this recipe.
Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
Tammy @ creativekkids.com says
What a great combination. I’m not creative enough to think of that by myself. Thanks for linking up with the Tasty Tuesday’s Link-up. I have pinned your post to the Tasty’s Tuesday’s Pinterest Board!