Have you ever had a scotcheroo? They are the perfect blend of peanut butter, butterscotch, and chocolate. This scotcheroos recipe is a classic!
I have a soft spot for pot lucks and bake sales. There is something about all that homemade goodness that just makes me happy.
I love classic homemade desserts. I especially love rice krispie treats, I ate whole pans of them while I was pregnant.
So when I first encountered a version of rice krispie treats that were a delicious blend of chocolate and peanut butter I was in love. However, I was at a potluck and had no idea who had created this deliciousness.
Then I ran into them again at a bake sale. I stopped in my tracks and asked the nice ladies what they were.
Maybe it’s because I love whatchamacallits and these have the same sort of texture and flavor. Or maybe that it is that chocolate and peanut butter are a classic combination, throw in some butterscotch, and chewy crunchy texture and you’ve pretty much got dessert perfection.
These are so easy to whip up any day of the week, but they are special enough for holidays, bake sales, parties, or any other occasion where deliciousness is appreciated!
Here’s how you make these classic Scotcheroos-
1 Cup- Sugar
1 Cup- Corn Syrup
1 Cup- Creamy Peanut Butter
6 Cups- Rice Krispies
1 Cup- Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1 Cup- Butterscotch Chips
If you want a thicker topping for these scotcheroos you can double the amount of chocolate and butterscotch chips!
The first thing you’ll want to do is line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
Place your Rice Krispies in a large bowl.
Next, put your sugar and corn syrup in a large saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring continuously, until it comes to a rolling boil.
Once it’s boiling remove it from the heat and stir in your peanut butter until well incorporated.
Now pour the peanut butter mixture over your Rice Krispies and stir until they are all completely coated.
Spread your Rice Krispie mixture into your prepared pan and gently press it down.
Now place your butterscotch and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for one minute then stir, continue heating in 30-second intervals and stirring until the chips are completely melted.
Pour the melted chocolate chip mixture over the Rice Krispies and spread out. Pop them in the fridge until the chocolate chips are set (about 2 hours)
Slice into squares and enjoy!
- 1- Cup Sugar
- 1- Cup Corn Syrup
- 1- Cup Peanut Butter
- 6- Cups Rice Krispie
- 1- Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1- Cup Butterscotch Chips
- Prepare an 8x8 inch pan by lining it with parchment paper and spraying with non-stick spray.
- In a large pan over medium heat continually mix your sugar and corn syrup until it comes to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and add in peanut butter, stir thoroughly. and pour over your Rice Krispies.
- Press the Rice Krispie mixture into your prepared pan.
- In a microwave safe bowl heat your chocolate and butterscotch chips for one minute, then stir. Continue heating in 30 second increments stirring in between, until completely melted.
- Pour the melted chips over the Rice Krispie mixture.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until the chocolate chips have set.