Easy Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas
These creamy white chicken enchiladas are such a delicious and easy dinner! Tender chicken, creamy sauce, and just a little spice make these the perfect meal!
I discovered these creamy white chicken enchiladas years ago and they have been a staple in our house ever since. They are rich and creamy, with just the right amount of spice. They are super hearty and filling, a great comfort food, that is easy enough to be a weeknight meal! This is one of my favorite meals to make ahead of time to have for busy weeks so that I can just pop it in the oven and dinner is served!
These easy chicken enchiladas are different from traditional enchiladas because the red sauce is replaced with a cream sauce and the filling is creamy and cheesy. I’m not a fan of super spicy food so these white enchiladas are right up my alley. But they are easily spiced up if you like a little more heat!
What I love about this super easy chicken enchilada recipe is that there is no sauce to make, and no fancy ingredients. You can pick up what you need at most grocery stores, which makes these a great last minute dinner idea! These are also the best enchiladas to make for a crowd, they are great for parties because even picky eaters love them and they don’t take very much time to make!
- Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Enchilada Casserole– This enchilada casserole has all the delicious flavors of enchiladas with a fraction of the effort! Layers of sauce, meat, cheese and tortillas combine to create a delicious combination that your family is sure to love!
- Delicious Frito Pie– Frito pie is a classic casserole that combines delicious chili, cheddar cheese, and of course Fritos! The combination of crunchy, salty, cheesy, and spicy is an amazing one that your family will absolutely love!
- Delicious Fajita Burgers– These Fajita Burgers are a delicious variation on a classic burger. Made with ground beef, peppers, onions and spices topped with a bun and your favorite fajita toppings. These juicy, flavorful burgers will be your new favorite!
FAQ & Tips for these White Chicken Enchiladas
What to serve with creamy white chicken enchiladas-
These easy white chicken enchiladas are easy to pair with a simple side dish for an easy dinner. I like to serve them with a simple side salad, or steamed or roasted vegetables like broccoli or corn. They are also great paired with a simple Mexican rice, black beans, or refried beans. We love this recipe topped with a dollop of sour cream and some fresh guacamole or pico de gallo.
The best chicken for these enchiladas-
When I’m cooking chicken for another meal I like to make extra chicken for this recipe if you have chicken already cooked the prep time for this recipe is nice and short and makes these super easy to make! This is a delicious recipe made with with chicken breast or chicken thighs. You can season your chicken however you’d like. I like to use a little garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika if I’m prepping it for these enchiladas. You can also cook it with taco seasoning mix. You can cook your chicken in the crock pot if you want to have it cooked and ready to go. For a quick and easy meal you can use a rotisserie chicken. Any flavorful chicken can be used in this creamy chicken enchilada recipe! You can chop your chicken into pieces or use shredded chicken, whatever you prefer.
How to make this enchilada recipe spicy-
If you like your enchiladas a little on the spicy side there are several ways to spice these up or add just a hint of heat! You can top them with salsa or hot sauce after they are cooked. You can swap out the Monterey jack cheese with pepper jack cheese. You can add spices like chili powder or cumin to the chicken and cheese mixture.
Can I make these ahead of time?
Yes! These creamy enchiladas are a great recipe for making ahead to have on hand for a busy weeknight. The best way to store them is to make the enchiladas filling, fill the tortillas, and top them with shredded cheese. Don’t add the heavy cream until you are ready to bake them. You can wrap your baking pan in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in the fridge. When you are ready to bake just pour the cream over the enchiladas and then bake!
Can I use different tortillas?
Absolutely! You can easily swap out the flour tortillas for other varieties. It is easy to make this recipe fit with your dietary needs or tastes. If you prefer corn tortillas you can use them yellow corn or white corn tortillas work well. They are usually smaller so they will make more enchiladas. You can also use keto tortillas if you are following a low carb diet, or gluten free tortillas if you are gluten free.
Ingredients for this White Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
3 Cups cooked and chopped chicken breast
1 Medium Onion- diced
1- 4.5 oz Can Diced Green Chiles -drained
1- 8 oz. Brick Cream Cheese- softened to room temperature
8- 8 inch Flour Tortillas
16 oz. Monterery Jack Cheese- shredded
2 Cups Heavy Cream
2 Tbsp Butter
Here’s how to make White Chicken Enchiladas
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add in diced onion and a pinch of salt. Cook onions on medium for about 15 minutes or until translucent and slightly browned around the edges.
Add in drained green chilies and stir for a few minutes until heated through.
Place softened cream cheese in a large bowl, add in onions and chilies and stir. Mix chicken into the cream cheese mixture and stir until well mixed.
Stir until everything is evenly coated.
Spoon 1/8 of the chicken mixture down the center of a tortilla and wrap it tightly.
Place seam side down in your prepared baking dish.
Repeat with remaining tortillas placing them side by side in the baking dish.
Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly across the top of the enchiladas.
Pour the heavy cream evenly across the top of the cheese.
Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is warm and bubbly.
Store any leftover enchiladas in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 Cups cooked and chopped chicken breast
- 1 Medium Onion- diced
- 1- 4.5 oz Can Diced Green Chilies-drained
- 1- 8 oz. Brick Cream Cheese- softened to room temperature
- 8- 8 inch Flour Tortillas
- 16 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese- shredded
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add in diced onion and a pinch of salt. Cook onions on medium for about 15 minutes or until translucent and slightly browned around the edges.
- Add in drained green chilies and stir for a few minutes until heated through.
- Place softened cream cheese in a large bowl, add in onions and chilies and stir. Mix chicken into the cream cheese mixture.
- Stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Spoon 1/8 of the mixture down the center of a tortilla and wrap it tightly.
- Place seam side down in your prepared baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas placing them side by side in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly across the top of the enchiladas.
- Pour the heavy cream evenly across the top of the cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is warm and bubbly.