Are you looking for a tasty and colorful addition to your Mexican-inspired dishes? Look no further than Pineapple Pico de Gallo! This fruity twist on the classic salsa adds a sweet and spicy flavor to tacos, burrito bowls, or simply served as a dip with tortilla chips. With fresh ingredients like pineapple, tomato, jalapeño, and cilantro, this Pineapple Pico de Gallo recipe is not only delicious but also healthy!
- Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips – Fruit salsa is loaded with flavor and everyone loves it as an appetizer or snack! Perfect for parties or snacking anytime! This easy fruit salsa recipe is loaded with summer berries and paired with easy to make cinnamon sugar chips it is always a hit!
- Cucumber Pico de Gallo– If you’re looking for a fresh and flavorful twist on traditional pico de gallo, look no further than cucumber pico de gallo! This unique and delicious variation adds crisp cucumber to the classic combination of chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and lime juice
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas– These creamy chicken enchiladas are such a delicious and easy dinner! Tender chicken, creamy sauce, and just a little spice make these the perfect meal!
Pico de gallo is a delicious fresh salsa made with finely diced veggies. This salsa recipe adds in fresh pineapple for a tasty twist! This pineapple pico de gallo salsa is full of fresh flavors that go together beautifully. The sweet flavor of the pineapple, the spicy jalapenos, and flavorful tomatoes blend together to create a delicious balance of flavors with a tropical twist!
What is the difference between pico de gallo and salsa?
Pico de gallo and salsa are two popular condiments often found in Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisines. While they may look and taste similar, there are several key differences between the two. Pico de gallo means “roosters beak” in Spanish and is also known as salsa fresca, typically consists of just a handful of ingredients diced tomatoes, onions, jalapeño peppers, cilantro, and lime juice. It is often chunkier and has a fresher taste than traditional salsa. On the other hand, salsa usually includes pureed or blended ingredients such as tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic, resulting in a smoother consistency. Salsa may also include additional ingredients such as vinegar, sugar, and spices. Despite these differences, both pico de gallo and salsa make delicious accompaniments for tacos, nachos, and other Mexican dishes.
In this pico de gallo salsa recipe ripe pineapple balances out the spicy flavors of the jalapenos to create an amazing taste combination! This fruity salsa makes a healthy snack, appetizer or topping!
Tips & FAQs
When it comes to preparing Pineapple Pico de Gallo, there are a few tips that can help make the dish even more delicious.
Use fresh ingredients-
This pineapple salsa is best when it’s made with fresh ingredients. While it requires a bit of chopping it is worth it to have fresh sweet pineapple, fresh tomatoes, and bright delicious fresh cilantro. Use fresh lime juice for the best taste!
Finely chop the ingredients-
You’ll want to dice the pineapple and the other ingredients into nice small pieces. I like to finely dice the jalapenos in this recipe so that they are evenly distributed throughout the pico de gallo!
Let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving-
Sitting for at least 30 minutes will allow the flavors to meld and taste delicious. Just cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve!
Can I make Pineapple Pico de Gallo ahead of time?
Yes, you can! Just keep it in in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it. This stores well in the fridge for 2-3 days so it is great for making ahead of time of gatherings or for meal prep.
Can I use canned pineapple instead of fresh?
Yes, you can, but the texture might be softer and it might taste sweeter. Make sure to purchase canned pineapple in juice not syrup and drain it well before using it. Another great short cut instead of using a whole pineapple is to purchase pre-cut pineapple in the produce section of your grocery store. That way you don’t have to do as much cutting and still have fresh pineapple.
Can I add other fruits or vegetables to Pineapple Pico de Gallo?
Absolutely! Some people like to add diced mango or papaya, for example. Just keep in mind that the sweetness and acidity might vary, so adjust the seasoning accordingly. Some other tasty additions are avocados, green onions, or sweet bell peppers. This sweet and spicy pineapple pico can be enhanced with lots of your favorite fruits and veggies!
How to serve Pineapple pico de gallo-
This type of salsa is perfect for dipping tortilla chips as a snack or appetizer. It can also be a great complement to savory dishes. This homemade pico de gallo is the perfect topping for grilled chicken or fish or pork chops for a delicious fresh taste. You can also use it on any Mexican dish like tacos, fajitas or burritos, or fish tacos! It also makes a tasty side dish. You can chop the vegetables and pineapple into larger pieces to make this recipe a salad that goes well with so many dishes.
Add some extra heat-
This pico de gallo recipe is pretty mild but if you like things spicy you can easily add a little more heat. You can add extra jalapenos, or use spicier peppers like serrano peppers or even habanero to make a spicy pineapple pico de gallo. You can also add spices like cumin, chili or cayenne, just add them to taste!
You can make this easy Mexican recipe with alternate ingredients if necessary so you can use what you have or what is fresh at the farmer’s market. If you don’t have red onions or prefer a substitute you can use white onion or green onions. Roma tomatoes are perfect for this recipe but you can swap them out for grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes. If you don’t like cilantro you can swap it for fresh parsley.
Tips for chopping jalapeno peppers-
- Wear gloves: This is the most important tip especially if you have sensitive skin. Wear gloves to protect your skin from the oils in the jalapeño peppers.
- Use a sharp knife: A sharp knife will make the chopping process easier and reduce the likelihood of slipping and injuring yourself.
- Cut off the stem and slice the pepper in half-Start by cutting off the stem of the jalapeño pepper. This will create a flat surface that will make it easier to chop the pepper. Hold the pepper upright and slice it in half lengthwise remove the seeds and membranes.
- Chop the pepper: Once you’ve removed the stem, seeds, and membranes (if desired), chop the jalapeño pepper into small pieces. Be careful not to touch your face or eyes while doing this.
Ingredients needed for Pineapple Pico de Gallo
2 Cups Finely Diced Fresh Pineapple
2 Cups Chopped Roma Tomatoes
1-2 Finely Diced Jalapenos
1/3 Diced Red Onion
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 tsp Salt
How to make Pineapple Pico de Gallo
In a large mixing bowl combine chopped tomato, onion, and jalapeno peppers.
Add in diced pineapple.
Add in chopped cilantro, pour lime juice on top and season with salt to taste.
Mix well, cover and refrigerate for about half an hour before serving.
Pineapple Pico de Gallo
Are you looking for a tasty and colorful addition to your Mexican-inspired dishes? Look no further than Pineapple Pico de Gallo! This fruity twist on the classic salsa adds a sweet and spicy flavor to tacos, burrito bowls, or simply served as a dip with tortilla chips.
- 2 Cups Finely Diced Fresh Pineapple
- 2 Cups Chopped Roma Tomatoes
- 1-2 Finely Diced Jalapenos
- 1/3 Diced Red Onion
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- In a large mixing bowl combine chopped tomato, onion, and jalapeno peppers.
- Add in diced pineapple.
- Add in chopped cilantro, pour lime juice on top and season with salt to taste.
- Mix well, cover and refrigerate for about half an hour before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 46Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
[…] Pineapple Pico de Gallo– Are you looking for a tasty and colorful addition to your Mexican-inspired dishes? Look no further than Pineapple Pico de Gallo! This fruity twist on the classic salsa adds a sweet and spicy flavor to tacos, burrito bowls, or simply served as a dip with tortilla chips. […]