These Fajita Burgers are a delicious variation on a classic burger. Made with ground beef, peppers, onions and spices topped with a bun and your favorite fajita toppings. These juicy, flavorful burgers will be your new favorite!
Fajita burgers are so much fun to make and exciting to eat because they’re so different than the normal everyday burger. They’re a great way to combine a love of Mexican food and flavors with the ease and deliciousness of a burger. Often when I have meat, onions and peppers my go to is to whip up burritos or fajitas, these burgers are a great alternative with the same amazing flavor! My family agrees that this is one of their favorite burgers we’ve ever tried and after the first time making it it became a staple in our house!
Even better not only are they delicious juicy burgers but they come together super quick!
This recipe makes 4 burgers and takes about 30 minutes to prep and cook them. That means you can get dinner on the table in half an hour, and let’s be honest, that’s awesome! Dinner can be such a hectic time on busy weeknights and anything you can do to cut down on the craziness, the better. You can throw these on the outdoor grill or cook them in a skillet or grill pan on the stove so they are great summer burgers any time of year!
- New Posts You Might Have Missed
- Healthy & Juicy Turkey Zucchini Burgers
- Banana Bran Muffins
- Delicious Hummus Deviled Eggs
Here’s what you need for this fajita burger recipe
Large Vidalia Onion – I like to use Vidalia onions because of the touch of sweetness. If you like a stronger onion flavor yellow or red onion works well too!
Red & Yellow Peppers- I love the sweetness of yellow and red peppers but you can also use green if you prefer them.
Lean Ground Beef- I use a 90/10 lean ground beef. That way the burgers don’t shrink a ton. If you use a higher fat beef make the burgers a little bigger.
Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, Cumin, Dried Oregano, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder – These spices combine to create the perfect seasoning blend for these burgers. Blending them yourself creates much better flavor than using store bought taco seasoning mix.
Avocado– You want a large ripe avocado. We’ll be making a tasty topping for the burgers so the avocado needs to be mashed.
Salsa Verde- Use your favorite canned salsa or homemade salsa recipe.
Olive Oil – You’ll just need a little for cooking the peppers and onions. If you prefer another oil you can swap it out.
Hamburger Buns- Use your favorite buns to serve these burgers! We like to toast them!
How to make these Burgers
Thinly your slice peppers and onions. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and onions to the oil and sauté stirring frequently over med heat until soft and caramelized. I like to cook mine until they are pretty soft and the onions are well caramelized, if you like your veggies a little crisper just cook them a little less.
While the peppers and onions are cooking mix meat and spices in a large bowl. I use my hands to knead the meat mixture to get it evenly mixed. Divide meat into 4 pieces, form into equal patties and set aside.
When the peppers and onions are finished remove them from the pan. Place the pan back on medium heat (don’t wipe) and place the burgers in the pan.
Seer over medium high heat and cook until desired level of doneness (about 5-6 minutes per side over medium heat to cook to med/well)
You can also cook the burgers on the grill over a medium-high flame to seer the outside and then cook to desired doneness.
While the burgers are cooking place the salsa verde in a small bowl peel and chop the avocado and add it to the salsa. Mash and mix it until well blended.
Serve the burgers topped with the avocado mixture, peppers and onions and any other desired toppings! I like to toast the buns and spread the avocado mixture on the bottom bun and then place the burger on top so there is plenty of room for peppers, onions, and other toppings.
- Other Posts You’ll Love
- Easy Enchilada Casserole
- Delicious Frito Pie
- Easy & Delicious Cheeseburger Pie
Tips for success/variations:
- Toppings are a must for fajitas and they are for these burgers as well! We love to top them with cheese, cheddar or pepper jack cheese are our favorites. We also love fresh cilantro, sour cream, green onions, salsa, hot sauce, and even a squeeze of fresh lime juice! For a little spice top them with fresh or pickled jalapenos!
- Prep Ahead- If you are planning on making these for a busy night it is a great idea to chop your peppers and onions ahead of time so that you can just get cooking with a quickness!
- You can use any color pepper for these burgers. I personally love the sweetness of red bell peppers but green peppers or yellow peppers work really well too! Or use one of each for a colorful delicious burger!
- You can make the burgers on a grill, in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat, or in an oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Make sure to spray the surface with cooking spray or use a little olive oil to grease the pan so they don’t stick while cooking.
- Serve these burgers up with fries, sweet potato fries, onion rings, salad, or any other summer veggies!
- Another great way to serve these is with a salad! Instead of putting them on burger buns put them on a nice bed of leafy greens, add in some extra veggies (just add your salad favorites!) and drizzle on a little dressing. It is a great summer salad!
- You can also substitute the ground beef with ground chicken or ground turkey! So if you prefer chicken you can easily create chicken fajita burgers that are flavorful and delicious! These are great because you can use pretty much any ground meat you have on hand to create these
- 1 Large Vidalia Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 1 Lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 large Avocado
- 1 Tbsp Salsa Verde
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Thinly slice peppers and onions. Heat olive oil in a skillet
over medium heat. Add peppers and onions to the oil and sauté stirring
frequently over med heat until soft and caramelized.
- While the peppers and onions are cooking mix meat and spices
in a medium size bowl kneading to mix well. Separate the meat mixture into 4 burgers and set aside.
- When the peppers and onions are cooked remove from pan.
Place the pan back on medium heat (don’t wipe the pan) and place the burgers in the pan. Seer over medium high heat and cook until desired level of doneness (about 5-6 minutes per side over medium heat to cook to med/well)
- While the burgers are cooking place the salsa verde in a
medium size bowl peel and chop the avocado and add it to the salsa. Mash and mix it until well blended.
- Serve the burgers topped with the avocado mixture, peppers and onions and any other desired toppings!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 35g