Cream cheese whipped cream is a creamy, rich, stabilized whipped cream made with cream cheese, heavy cream, and powdered sugar. It is perfect for topping ice cream, pies or desserts, and can even be used as frosting cakes or cupcakes!
I have always been a fan of whipped cream, but often fresh homemade whipped cream doesn’t hold up well on a frosted cake like a poke cake, or for making a dessert like strawberry shortcake a head of time. Many recipes use cool whip instead of regular whipped cream for this reason, because it holds up, but I know plenty of people who prefer whipped cream over cool whip! This stabilized whipped cream is a great whole food replacement for cool whip.
Then you’ve got traditional cream cheese frosting, Made with butter and cream cheese, it is perfect for a dessert like carrot cake but on a dessert where you want something lighter cream cheese frosting can feel a little too heavy.
This recipe creates the perfect whipped cream cheese frosting that is light and fluffy like whipped cream but rich and thick like cream cheese frosting. It makes it the perfect topping for a variety of desserts! The addition of cream cheese and powdered sugar to traditional whipped cream creates the perfect whipped cream frosting!
This recipe makes enough whipped frosting to frost a 9×13, 8 inch round layer cake, or batch of cupcakes. If you are doing something that doesn’t require as much whipped cream like topping fresh berries, cheesecake, or Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate this recipe is super easy to make a half batch or even a quarter! If you have extra you can store any leftover whipped cream cheese frosting for 2-3 days in an air tight container.
- Great Ways to Use This Recipe
- Delicious Oreo Poke Cake– Is there any flavor more classic than cookies and cream? This Oreo poke cake takes those flavors to the next level with rich chocolate cake, creamy vanilla pudding, fluffy whipped topping and of course Oreo sandwich cookies all topped with a drizzle of chocolate syrup!
- Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake– Strawberry shortcake poke cake is a delightful combination of yellow cake, fresh strawberries, strawberry gelatin, homemade strawberry topping and a light and fluffy creamy whipped topping. It is the perfect delicious dessert! This strawberry poke cake is a crowd pleaser that will be a hit at any party or gathering!
- Easy No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake This no-bake pumpkin cheesecake is the perfect easy and delicious holiday dessert! Creamy, spiced pumpkin filling in a crunchy graham cracker crust topped with whipped cream, this pie is one that everyone loves!
Tips for Success
Chill your bowl and whisk attachment –
When making homemade whipped cream you’ll be more successful if everything is nice and cold. You’ll want your heavy whipping cream to be very cold, and it helps it stay cold if you chill your bowl and your attachments. I like to put mine in the freezer for about 15-30 minutes before I get started. A metal bowl works best for this because they get nice and cold. You can use an electric hand mixer or stand mixer whisk attachment.
Use two bowls-
You may be tempted in making this recipe to use only one large mixing bowl. However you’ll have the best results using two bowls and then combining your ingredients.
Add some flavor-
This recipe uses vanilla but feel free to be creative and make flavored whipped cream! You can use any flavor like almond extract, lemon, orange, whatever flavor will go well with your dessert. You can even add in a little lemon or orange zest to really dress it up. Have fun making this whipped cream cheese frosting and creating flavors that match your favorite dessert!
Use full fat cream cheese –
For best results you’ll want to use full fat cream cheese. Low fat tends to be a little more watery and not as rich so your end result won’t be nearly as creamy. Regular cream cheese is the best for this recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need for this cream cheese whipped cream
8 oz Block Cream Cheese – You’ll need one block of cream cheese softened to room temperature.
1 Cup Powdered Sugar (confectioners sugar)– Make sure your powdered sugar is fresh and lump free.
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract – Use real vanilla extract
2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream – You’ll want to use nice cold heavy whipping cream.
Here’s how to make this whipped cream-
Before starting place the mixing bowl you’re going to use for the whipped cream in the freezer for about 15-30 minutes. A metal bowl works best, but any mixing bowl will work.
In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, or stand mixer cream together the powdered sugar, cream cheese and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until creamy and well mixed, set aside.
Remove your chilled bowl from the freezer add in the heavy cream and mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until soft peaks form, increase the speed to high and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
Add the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream and beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes or until well mixed. Place in a piping bag and pipe onto desserts or spread with a spatula.
Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
- 8 oz Cream Cheese- softened
- 1 C Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream – Cold
- Before starting place the mixing bowl you're going to use for the whipped cream in the freezer. A metal bowl works best, but any mixing bowl will work.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together the powdered sugar, cream cheese and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until creamy and well mixed, set aside.
- Remove your chilled bowl from the freezer add in the cream and mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, increase the speed to high and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Add the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream and beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes or until well mixed.
- Place in a piping bag and pipe onto desserts or spread with a spatula.
- Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 42mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g