Pesto is an amazing sauce for so many dishes! This easy homemade pesto comes together in minutes and is perfect for pasta, chicken, pizza or any other dish!
I love pesto it is one of my favorite sauces! It is perfect on pasta, or chicken, great served with zucchini noodles or even as a pizza sauce. For years I would grab a jar of pesto at the grocery store and use it in my recipes. But then I discovered how simple it is to make your own pesto with fresh herbs and I fell in love! While the flavors for fresh pesto are complex it is made with a simple handful of ingredients that can easily be found at most grocery stores.
If you grow fresh herbs this is a great way to use up a lot of basil! Not only is it great served fresh but this homemade pesto sauce recipe can also be preserved so that you can have fresh basil any time. I like to double the recipe so that I have some to use in my recipe and some to save for later!
- Other Posts You’ll Love
- Creamy Greek Yogurt Alfredo Sauce -Do you love creamy delicious Alfredo sauce but want a healthier version? This Greek yogurt Alfredo sauce has all the flavor without the calories! You can have a healthy Alfredo sauce without sacrificing the great taste!
- Lasagna Roll Ups with Meat Sauce– Lasagna roll ups have all the amazing flavor of traditional lasagna in easy to make and serve lasagna rolls! Made with a mix of delicious cheeses, Italian sausage and tomato sauce these are hearty and full of flavor!
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip -This pepperoni pizza dip as a delicious and easy dip that is perfect for pizza lovers! This warm, cheesy, flavorful dip is perfect for parties or enjoying anytime!
How to serve this pesto-
This classic basil pesto recipe is great served in so many ways. Of course it is delicious on pasta, but I also like to make pesto chicken or pesto shrimp by tossing or marinating them in the sauce before cooking. It is also a great topping on pizza or flatbread, and it also makes a delicious dip for fresh bread! There are so many ways to serve this tasty sauce that your whole family will love!
How to store this pesto-
You can store your pesto refrigerated in an airtight container for a few days. If you want to preserve it for longer my favorite way is to freeze it. Place the pesto in in ice cube trays and freeze until solid. Pop the pesto out of the ice tray and put the cubes in a freezer bag to keep them fresh. If you want to freeze them for several weeks you can also vacuum seal the frozen pesto cubes so that they don’t become freezer burnt and keep their incredible flavor!
Want to make a vegan pesto? Swap out the parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast. It has a similar cheesy flavor but is dairy free! Classic pesto uses pine nuts but if you don’t like them can’t find them, or wan to try something different you can swap out pine nuts for walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or even pistachios! You can also try different cheese in your pesto swap parmesan for pecorino romano or other hard cheese.
Ingredients for Homemade Basil Pesto
1 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
2 tbsp pine nuts
3 fresh garlic cloves- peeled and roughly chopped
4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup olive oil
salt, black pepper
Here’s how to make this Easy Homemade Pesto
Combine basil leaves ,pine nuts, grated parmesan, a pinch of salt and pepper, and chopped garlic cloves in the bowl of a food processor.
Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped.
Pour in the olive oil in a slow stream while pulsing the food processor.
For a smoother pesto continue to process until the desired consistency is reached. If you like larger pieces of basil in your sauce than don’t blend it as long.
Remove from the food processor and it is ready to serve or store.
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 3 fresh garlic cloves- peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt, black pepper
- Combine basil leaves ,pine nuts, grated parmesan, a pinch of salt and pepper, and chopped garlic cloves in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Pour in the olive oil in a slow stream while pulsing the food processor.
- For a smoother pesto continue to process until the desired consistency is reached. If you like larger pieces of basil in your sauce than don't blend it as long.
- Remove from the food processor and it is ready to serve or store.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g