Crockpot Italian Sausage Peppers and Onions
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy meal to prepare, look no further than Crockpot Italian Sausage Peppers and Onions. The combination of savory Italian sausages, sweet bell peppers, and caramelized onions is bursting with flavor and can be effortlessly made in your crockpot. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply want a comforting meal for your family, this crockpot recipe is a winner.
We love an easy slow cooker meal! They are perfect for getting ready in the morning so you can have dinner on the table quickly in the evening! This Italian sausage and peppers recipe is one of our favorites because it is full of flavor and can be served in a variety of ways! I love to throw this in the crock pot to have ready to go at dinner time!
One of the best things about crockpot Italian sausage peppers and onions is its simplicity. With just a few ingredients, minimal prep work, and a crockpot, you can have a hearty and satisfying meal waiting for you at the end of a busy day. The slow cooking method also ensures that the sausages are incredibly tender and juicy, while the peppers and onions become soft and caramelized.
This slow cooker recipe is not only good for an easy family dinner but it is also a recipe that’s great for feeding a crowd. You can easily double this slow cooker sausage and peppers recipe for parties!
- Other Recipes You’ll Love-
- Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta– This creamy Italian sausage pasta is an easy weeknight dinner that is full of incredible flavor! Tender pasta is covered with a creamy sauce, spicy Italian sausage, sun dried tomatoes and spinach!
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies- This sheet pan sausage and veggies is a delicious and super easy dinner. This great recipe is perfect for busy nights, your whole family will love this easy sausage recipe!
- Sheet Pan Beef & Broccoli -This sheet pan beef and broccoli recipe is a super easy meal with all of the flavor of your favorite take out! The juicy beef, fresh broccoli and tasty sauce makes a dinner that the whole family will love!
FAQ Tips & Suggestions for this Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers Recipe-
Can I use any type of Italian sausage for this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of Italian sausage you prefer, such as sweet Italian sausage, mild Italian sausage or spicy Italian sausage. It depends on your personal taste preferences. To add some extra heat to this recipe you can add in a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. You can even use turkey sausage or chicken sausage if you prefer.
Can I add other vegetables to this recipe?
Yes, you can add other vegetables such as mushrooms or zucchini if you like. Just keep in mind that they may release additional liquid during the cooking process.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers for future meals. Allow the dish to cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers or bags. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. you can reheat it in the crockpot or allow it to thaw and then heat up as needed.
How to store slow cooker sausage peppers and onions–
This crockpot sausage and peppers recipe stores well refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
How to serve this crockpot sausage and peppers recipe-
We love this recipe for delicious Italian sausage sandwiches but there are so many other ways you can serve it. It is delicious over pasta, rice or even cauliflower rice. You can even chop the sausage and use it over pizza or inside a calzone!
Can I make this in an electric pressure cooker?
Sometimes when I don’t have time for a crockpot meal I like to throw it in the Instant Pot instead! This recipe works well in an Instant Pot just follow the instructions to sear the sausage and then pressure cook it for 6 minutes on high pressure, allow to natural release for 10 minutes before serving.
Can I skip searing the sausage?
Yes! If you’re pressed for time and don’t have time to brown the sausage you can skip it. You can just throw everything in the slow cooker cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. The only difference is the sausage casing may be a little soft.
Tips for slow cooker sausage peppers and onions-
For more onion taste you can use yellow onions, for sweeter onion taste use Vidalia onions.
If you prefer red bell peppers or green bell peppers you can use two of the same color instead of one of each.
Don’t cut the onions and peppers too thin. You want nice even slices but if they are too thin they will cook in the slow cooker too quickly and be too soft.
Use your favorite sauce. For this recipe you can use your favorite jarred spaghetti sauce, your favorite homemade pasta sauce or even plain tomato sauce.
Ingredients for Crockpot Sausage and Peppers and Onions
1 pkg of Italian sausage links (5 sausages)
1 red pepper (sliced)
1 green pepper (sliced)
1 large onion (sliced)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup of your favorite pasta or tomato sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
5 slices of sliced mozzarella
1 pack of your favorite hoagie rolls or hot dog buns
Here’s how to make Italian Sausage, Onions, and Peppers in a Crockpot
Heat oil in a large skillet on medium- high heat. Brown the sausages 2-3 minutes on each side. (Just looking to brown each side not cook the sausage through.) You can also brown the sausage in the slow cooker if it has a sear setting.
Place the sausages in slow cooker and add your sliced bell peppers and onions on top. Sprinkle the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper all over.
Spread marinara sauce evenly over the top and place the lid on the slow cooker and let it cook on low for 6 -7 hours, or cook on high for 3-4 hours.
To make Italian Sausage Sandwiches-
Once the sausage is cooked place sausage and marinara, peppers and onions to a bun and add one sliced mozzarella cheese on top.
Place on a foiled lined sheet pan and broil 2-3 minutes until the cheese is slightly melted.
Serve and enjoy!!
- 1 pkg of Italian sausage links (5 sausages)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 1 green pepper (sliced)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup of your favorite pasta or tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium- high heat. Brown the sausages 2-3 minutes on each side. (Just looking to brown each side not cook the sausage through.) You can also brown the sausage in the slow cooker if it has a sear setting.
- Place the sausages in slow cooker and add your sliced bell peppers and onions on top. Sprinkle the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper all over.
- Spread marinara sauce evenly over the top and place the lid on the slow cooker and let it cook on low for 6 -7 hours, or cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- If desired place in a hoagie roll, top with mozzarella cheese and bake on a foil lined baking sheet and broil for 2-3 minutes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 388mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g