There is nothing like a bowl of creamy hearty chicken and dumplings! Perfectly seasoned, full of veggies, chicken, and topped with soft dumplings, it is the perfect comfort food!
There are certain dishes that are so warm and comforting that they are like a big hug, and for me chicken and dumplings is one of those dishes!
There are a lot of different variations of this recipe out there but this one is pretty much a classic. It is full of chicken and veggies in a creamy sauce topped with dumplings made with Bisquick that are like little pillows of deliciousness.
This recipe does require a bit of preparation but you can easily take a few shortcuts that can help it come together quickly!
How can I make Chicken and Dumplings easier and faster?
First start with pre-cooked chicken. You can plan ahead and cook extra when you cook it for another meal or grab a rotisserie chicken at the store. Having the chicken cooked and ready to go makes things go much faster!
Another shortcut you can take is to chop all your veggies ahead of time, the onion, carrots, and celery can all be chopped in advance to make cooking a breeze. You can also buy frozen chopped onions and carrots and they are a great time saver!
Here’s how to make Chicken and Dumplings-
4 Cups Cooked Chicken- cubed
1 Medium Size Onion -diced
1 Cup Carrots – diced
1/2 Cup Celery – diced
1 Cup Frozen Peas
3 Cloves Garlic- minced
1/2 tsp. Salt
4 Tbsp. Butter
1/2 Cup Flour
3/4 Cup Half and Half
1/2 tsp. Thyme
6 Cups Chicken Broth ( or bullion cubes)
For the Dumplings-
2 Cups Bisquick
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 Cup Milk
4 Tbsp. Melted Butter
In a large stock pot or Dutch oven melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add in your onion, carrots, celery ,garlic, and salt.
Stir and saute over medium heat until the celery and onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
Now add in flour and stir well, saute for a few minutes. Add in chicken broth and stir.
Increase heat and bring mixture to a boil, add in chicken, peas, and thyme. Turn heat down and simmer for about 10 minutes.
While the soup is simmering mix together the Bisquick, 1 tsp salt, onioin powder, milk and butter in a medium size bowl.
Add half and half into the soup and heat until simmering.
Drop Bisquick mixture into the simmering liquid by the spoonful. I like bigger dumplings so I use a large soup spoon. You can also use a dough scoop for more uniform size.
Cover and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove lid and remove from heat. The soup will thicken as it cools so wait about 10- 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired!
Serve a nice big scoop with a dumpling on top!
- 4 Cups Cooked Chicken
- 1 Medium Size Onion diced
- 1 Cup Carrots diced
- 1/2 Cup Celery diced
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 3 Cloves Garlic- minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup Half and Half
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- For the Dumplings
- 2 Cups Bisquick
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 Cup Milk
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- In a stock pot or Dutch oven melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in onion, garlic, celery, carrots and salt. Stir and saute for about 10 minutes or until celery and onions are translucent.
- Stir in flour and continue to cook for a few minutes. Pour in chicken broth, stir and bring to a boil.
- Increase heat and bring mixture to a boil, add in chicken, peas, and thyme.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While soup is simmering mix together Bisquick, salt, onion powder, milk and melted butter.
- Add in half and half and continue to simmer.
- Scoop Bisquick mixture into simmering soup by the spoonful or using a dough scoop.
- Cover pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and remove pot from heat. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving to allow soup mixture to thicken.
- Garnish with parsley before serving if desired.