If you are looking for an easy and delicious weeknight meal that will be a hit with everyone you have to try this Tater Tot Casserole! Cheese covered tater tots top a mixture of ground beef, creamy sauce and veggies! It is all of your food groups in one amazing casserole!
Tater tots are a staple in my house. We almost always have 2 or 3 bags in the freezer. They are perfect as a side dish for any sandwich, great to toss with eggs as a stand in for hash browns, or just as a snack…
I’m pretty much a fan of potatoes in every form and tater tots are definitely toward the top of the list of my favorites!
Just as an aside, I tried making tater tots from scratch once… they were good but they fall into the category of things that are waaaayyyy easier to buy premade. Here is the recipe if you ever want to try them for yourself and come to your own conclusions.
One of the ways I love to eat tater tots is in this casserole. It is a great way to combine a whole bunch of deliciousness and create a meal that everyone in your house will love!
A couple of notes about this Tater Tot Casserole-
- You can totally use a vegetarian ground beef substitute to make this. I usually make a meat one for my boys and a vegetarian version for my husband and I. You could also easily substitute the cream soup and cheese for vegan versions.
- You can adjust your baking time for desired tater tot crispiness. We like ours pretty crispy but my instructions include the time & heat to make them a golden brown, you can always cook them a little longer.
- You can easily add more variety to these by adding other ingredients like bacon on the top, using corn, black beans, and taco seasoning for a Mexican version.
Here’s what you’ll need for your Tater Tot Casserole-
1- Bag Tater Tots (usually 32 oz)
1- Small Onion Finely Diced
1- lb Ground beef (lean is best)
1- tsp Minced Garlic
1- Tbsp Olive Oil
1- Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2- Cup Sour Cream
1 1/2- Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1- Tbsp Worchestershire Sauce
1- Cup Frozen Mixed Veggies (your favorite blend)
1/2 -tsp salt divided into 2- 1/4 tsp portions
First preheat your oven to 425degrees and prepare a13x9 baking pan by greasing it or spraying with a non-stick cooking spray.
Now in a pan over medium heat heat up your olive oil, add in your diced onions, 1/4 tsp salt, and diced garlic and saute until the onions are soft and translucent.
Then add in your ground beef and continue cooking until the meat is cooked through and crumbly. Remove from heat and drain beef if needed.
Now add in the Worcestershire sauce, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream and veggies. Mix together thoroughly and spread into the bottom of your prepared pan.
Sprinkle about half of your shredded cheese across the ground beef mixture.
Now arrange your tater tots across the top and sprinkle with additional 1/4 tsp salt.
Now pop it in the oven for about 30 minutes, sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted.
Serve & enjoy!
- 1- Bag Tater Tots (usually 32 oz)
- 1- Small Onion Finely Diced
- 1- lb Ground beef (lean is best)
- 1- tsp Minced Garlic
- 1- Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1- Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2- Cup Sour Cream
- 1 1/2- Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1- Tbsp Worchestershire Sauce
- 1- Cup Frozen Mixed Veggies (your favorite blend)
- 1/2 -tsp salt divided into 2- 1/4 tsp portions
- Preheat oven to 425 and spray a 13x9 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a pan over medium heat, cook olive oil, garlic and diced onions until onions are translucent and soft.
- Add in ground beef and cook until browned thoroughly and crumbly. Remove from heat and drain beef.
- Add in Worchestershire, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup and veggie. Mix until well combined.
- Spread ground beef mixture in the bottom of prepared pan.
- Sprinkle1/2 of the shredded cheese across beef mixture.
- Arrange tater tots across cheese layer, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and place in the oven for 30 min, remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese, bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.