When our local Chinese restaurant started serving sushi I did a little happy dance. Until then we had to drive about 1/2 an hour to get sushi at the super fun hibachi place.
And well… we kind of love it. There are two things that I love the most, one is a Philadelphia roll, at first the thought of cream cheese mixed with the rice, seaweed and veggies sounded odd, but then I tried it and wow! The second is the yum yum sauce… so very aptly named I smile when the hibachi chef pours it into the little square dish.
Well, this recipe combines all those things there are to love about sushi but I actually like it even more! Why? Because I can make it at home (big win!) and rather than having to eat a whole bunch of little pieces you get to eat a nice big bowl of it!!
This makes enough for 4 nice size bowls. If there is an element someone in your house isn’t too keen on you can leave it out, and if you don’t eat fish you can easily throw some nice crispy tofu or just add more veggies! You could also healthy it up with brown rice or quinoa, I just chose white for more authentic sushi-ness.
Also, there are two sauces the yum yum and a soy reduction … because sauce is delicious, and adds another tasty element!
You can serve this with the rice hot or cooled, it’s a total matter of personal preference.
Here’s what you’ll need for your Philadelphia roll sushi bowl –
3- Cups Cooked White Rice
1- Large Cucumber
2- Pkgs. Artificial Crab Meat (or real crab would be even tastier)
4 oz. Cream Cheese
2-3 Dried Seaweed
1- Tbsp Sesame Seeds
For the Yum Yum Sauce
1- Cup Mayo
2- Tbsp Sugar
3- Tbsp Rice Wine or Apple Cider Vinegar
2 – Tbsp Butter Melted
3/4- tsp. Smoked Paprika
1/4- tsp Garlic Powder
For the Soy Sauce Reduction
1/4 – Cup Soy Sauce
2- Tbsp. Sugar
1- Tbsp. Rice Wine or Apple Cider Vinegar
Get your oven heated up to 350 and spread your sesame seeds evenly on a baking sheet & pop them in the oven for about 15 minutes or until they are a nice golden brown. (toasting them gives them a great flavor and crunch!)
While they’re toasting you want to do is mix up the ingredients for your yum yum sauce, then set it aside for the flavors to get nice and mixed.
Now get started on your soy reduction. Combine all of your ingredients in a small pan and heat over med/high heat until it comes to a low boil. Let it boil for 3-4 minutes.
Once your sauces are ready it’s time to get chopping. Chop your cucumber and avocado into small bite-size pieces. Cut your cream cheese into little cubes. If your crab is large chunks chop it up too!
Once you have everything chopped, your sauces finished, and your sesame seeds toasted you’re ready to assemble your bowls.
Start with the rice, add the cucumbers, avocados, and crab. Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds and crumble some seaweed across the top. Now drizzle the top with both sauces (or pour it on without shame… it’s good stuff!) and squeeze a lemon wedge across the whole thing!
Dig in and enjoy your Philadelphia roll sushi bowl!!
Do you love sushi? What is your favorite kind?
- 3- Cups Cooked White Rice
- 1- Avocado
- 1- Large Cucumber
- 2- Pkgs. Artificial Crab Meat (or real crab would be even tastier)
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 2-3 Pieces Dried Seaweed
- 1- Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Lemon Wedges
- For the Yum Yum Sauce
- 1- Cup Mayo
- 2- Tbsp Sugar
- 3- Tbsp Rice Wine or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 – Tbsp Butter Melted
- 3/4- tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1/4- tsp Garlic Powder
- For the Soy Sauce Reduction
- 1/4 – Cup Soy Sauce
- 2- Tbsp. Sugar
- 1- Tbsp. Rice Wine or Apple Cider Vinegar
- Heat oven to 350. Spread sesame seeds on a baking sheet and bake for for 15 minutes or until a nice golden brown.
- In a medium size bowl mix together all the ingredients for the Yum Yum sauce, set aside until ready to serve.
- Combine all of the Soy Sauce Reduction ingredients in a small pan and bring to a boil over med/high heat. Let boil for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- Chop your cucumber, avocado, cream cheese, and crab into bite size pieces.
- Assemble bowls. Start with a base of rice, add on cucumber, avocado, crab, avocados and cream cheese, drizzle with soy sauce reduction and yum yum sauce, sprinkle on toasted sesame seeds and crumbled seaweed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 936 Total Fat: 65g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 44g Cholesterol: 154mg Sodium: 2081mg Carbohydrates: 60g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 18g Protein: 25g