Air Fryer Yellow Squash
Air fryer yellow squash makes a delicious and quick side dish that is ready in minutes! Deliciously seasoned summer squash is cooked to perfection in the air fryer!
This air fryer summer squash recipe is one of the easiest side dishes, and it pairs well with so many dishes! Air fried yellow squash is full of flavor and it is a healthy addition to your summer meals!
I love a quick and easy side dish and the air fryer is the best way to whip up delicious veggies that make a healthy and tasty addition to any meal. This easy summer squash recipe is made with just a few simple ingredients that come together to make a simple side dish that goes well with so many dishes. It is the perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken or beef, burgers or even seafood!
Fresh yellow summer squash makes a healthy side dish that is low carb, low calorie but full of flavor. Making it in the air fryer gives it a roasted flavor without having to use the oven and heat up the house!
While this is a delicious side dish it also makes a great addition to other dishes. It is a great veggie topping for pasta or delicious addition to pasta salad!
- Other air fryer recipes you’ll love-
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges- Looking for a delicious and healthy snack that’s easy to make? Look no further than air fryer potato wedges! These crispy and flavorful wedges are the perfect alternative to traditional fried potatoes, with all the taste and none of the guilt.
- Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli– This crispy air fryer roasted broccoli is the perfect healthy side dish for any meal! This roast broccoli cooks up in just a few minutes with only a handful of ingredients!
- Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken– Cooking a whole chicken in the air fryer results in a mouth watering tender chicken with delicious crispy skin! This delicious air fryer rotisserie chicken is quick, easy and full of flavor! This makes the perfect weeknight dinner or whole chicken for meal prep!
When is squash in season?
Squash is one vegetable that has 2 versions, summer squash and winter squash. In the summer yellow squash, green zucchini, and pattypan squash are the most common. Depending on where you live you can find them all summer long. You can cook all summer squash in the air fryer because they are all very similar so this recipe will work! Winter squash like butternut or acorn squash are usually available in the fall and winter, and while they can be cooked in the air fryer they won’t work as well with this recipe
Substitutions & Variations & Tips for Air Fryer Squash
Fresh zucchini and yellow summer squash are practically interchangeable in most recipes. You can easily use this air fryer recipe to make zucchini into a great side dish! You can also do a blend of yellow squash and zucchini!
Use fresh herbs–
One of the best things about summer is the fresh produce, yellow squash is fresh and so are so many herbs. Use your favorite to season your squash before or after cooking.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs–
Making breaded fried squash can be time consuming! But if you want to add a little crunch to your air fryer yellow squash simply sprinkle some buttery bread crumbs on top for the last 5 minutes of air frying for a tasty crunchy addition! This is so much easier that breading individual slices and much healthier than deep fried squash!
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese–
Sprinkle your warm yellow squash with fresh grated parmesan cheese for a delicious addition!
Cooking time may vary-
Depending on the size and style of your air fryer, the thickness of your squash slices they may require a little more or less cook time. The first time you make this delicious air fryer recipe keep an eye on your squash so that it doesn’t overcook. Make sure not to overcrowd your air fryer when you cook the squash. Leave space between the slices and make sure to place the squash in a single layer for even cooking!
Use fresh squash-
You can usually find yellow squash year-round in the grocery store, but it is best in the summer when it is in season. Late summer is usually the best time to find fresh yellow squash at the farmers market or try growing some in your backyard garden!
Cut the squash in even pieces–
When you make this easy air fryer yellow squash it is important to slice the pieces as evenly as possible. By making them the same thickness they will cook evenly the air fryer. Slice the squash between ¼ and ½ inch inch thick for best results.
Should you remove yellow squash seeds?
One of the reasons making summer squash in the the air fryer is so easy is that there is very little prep needed. There is no need to peel yellow squash or remove the seeds! If you don’t like a lot of seeds in your squash make sure to pick smaller sized squash because they tend to have less seeds.
Ingredients for this Air Fryer Yellow Squash
- 2 yellow squash
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
Instructions for making yellow squash in the air fryer-
First preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
Wash your yellow squash and using a sharp knife slice the squash into pieces about 1/4 inch slices.
Put the squash slices in a large bowl. Pour in the oil and seasoning. Stir the squash until all of the slices are evenly coated.
Spread the squash pieces in a single layer in the bottom of the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may have to work in batches.
Air fry the squash for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Store any leftover air-fried squash an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can reheat the leftover yellow squash in the air fryer for 5- 8 minutes.
Air Fryer Yellow Squash
- 2 Yellow Squash
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- First preheat your air fryer to 400°f.
- Wash your yellow squash and using a sharp knife slice it into thin slices about 1/4 inch slices.
- Place the squash pieces in a large bowl. Pour in the oil and sprinkle on the spices. Stir the squash until all of the slices are evenly coated.
- Place the squash in a single layer in the bottom of the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may have to work in batches.
- Air fry for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
- Store any leftover squash refrigerated in an airtight container.