Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Air fryer sweet potato fries are a delicious and easy side dish that pair well with so many meals! These crispy fries are a great healthy air fryer recipe you’ll make again and again!
These sweet potato fries are a healthier alternative to french fries, and they still deliver that satisfying crunch. Using an air fryer to make sweet potato fries is a healthier alternative to traditional deep frying methods. Air fryers require little to no oil, resulting in fries that are lower in fat and calories. The hot air circulation makes the fries crispy on the outside and a soft and fluffy texture on the inside.
One of the things we love about using the air fryer is that it cooks things quickly so these are a great side dish for a busy night, or a great snack any time!
- Other Recipes You’ll Love-
- Delicious Sweet Potato Salad- Are you looking for a tasty dish to serve at your next picnic or barbecue? This delicious sweet potato salad is packed with flavor and perfect to serve to your friends and family! Ditch the boring old potato salad for something a little different!
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs- Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside air fryer chicken legs are an easy and delicious dish you’ll love! Kids and adults both love this easy recipe that is quick and tasty!
- 36 Beginner Air Fryer Recipes- The air fryer is a great way to cook all of your favorite recipes quickly and easily! If you are just starting out with an air fryer these basic, easy beginner recipes are the perfect place to start!
FAQ Tips & Variations for Making Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
How to make extra crispy air fryer sweet potato fries-
If you love crispy fries there are a couple of tips to make crispy sweet potato fries. First cut the sweet potato fries into even pieces that aren’t too thick that way they’ll cook with crispy edges. You can also soak your cut fries in a large bowl of cold water for about 30 minutes, this helps get some of the starch out of the potatoes. Make sure to preheat the the air fryer before you cook the sweet potatoes so they turn golden brown and crisp.
When you place the fries in the air fryer you want to make sure that they have plenty of room, this allows for even cooking. While it is ok to overlap them a little without overcrowding the air fryer or they won’t cook evenly. You also want to make sure that you toss or use tongs to stir and flip the fries halfway through the cooking time. Turning the fries ensures that they cook evenly and turn out crispy and golden on all sides!
Different seasonings for sweet potato fries-
These fries are delicious seasoned simply with salt, but you can also dress them up with lots of different seasonings. You can make this recipe using smoked paprika for a smoky taste, cumin, chili powder and onion powder for a Mexican flair, or cajun seasoning for a bit of spice!
How to serve sweet potato fries-
These fries are great served alongside your favorite dipping sauces! Some of our favorites are classic dips like ketchup, ranch dressing or barbeque sauce. They are also amazing with garlic aioli, cilantro lime dip, or siracha mayo. These fries also great topped with toppings like fresh herbs, grated cheese, or even bacon pieces!
These air fryer sweet potato fries make a great side dish for so many meals. They are delicious with burgers or sandwiches, as a side dish or topping for salads, or alongside grilled meats and seafood.
Can I make air fryer sweet potato wedges?
Absolutely! If you prefer wedges over fries you can absolutely make them! Just cut your sweet potato in half lengthwise and then into wedges and toss with oil and seasonings. Wedges take longer to cook so I suggest starting with 10- 12 minutes and then turn or toss them and continue to cook another 5-10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The cook time will depend on how big your wedges are and be based on your air fryer and how it cooks. You may want to experiment with a couple to get the cook time right before you air fry all of them.
How to store air fryer sweet potato fries-
Store leftover fries refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days. To reheat the fries you can place them back in the air fryer or in an oven or toaster oven. Microwaving them isn’t recommended because they can turn out soggy.
How to pick the best sweet potatoes to make this recipe-
- Color: Choose sweet potatoes that have vibrant orange or deep red skin. These colors indicate that the sweet potatoes are fully mature and have a higher sugar content.
- Shape and Size: Look for sweet potatoes that are uniform in size and shape. This will ensure even cooking and consistent results.
- Texture: Avoid sweet potatoes that have soft spots, bruises, or wrinkled skin. These could indicate spoilage or poor quality.
- Firmness: Gently squeeze the sweet potatoes to ensure they are firm. Avoid those that feel soft or have a lot of give.
- Freshness: Select sweet potatoes that are free of sprouts or green patches. These indicate that the sweet potatoes are older and may taste bitter.
It’s also important to consider the different size sweet potatoes when making fries. Smaller sweet potatoes tend to be sweeter and cook faster, while larger sweet potatoes can yield longer fries. Choose the size based on your preference. Remember to wash and scrub the sweet potatoes before peeling or cutting them into fries for the best results.
Here’s what you’ll need to make air fryer sweet potato fries
3 Sweet Potatoes
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
2 Tbsp Olive Oil or Avocado oil
Here’s how to make sweet potato fries in the air fryer-
First peel the sweet potatoes, rinse and pat dry. Cut sweet potatoes into evenly sized thin strips.
Place the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and seasonings. Toss to coat the sweet potatoes.
Preheat the air fryer to 380.
Place the cut sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket in an even layer.
Air fry sweet potato fries for 7 minutes.
Toss by shaking the basket or flip the sweet potatoes and continue to cook the fries for another 5-6 minutes or until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Serve while still warm.
- 3 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil or Avocado oil
- First peel the sweet potatoes, rinse and pat dry. Cut sweet potatoes into evenly sized thin strips.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and seasonings. Toss to coat the sweet potatoes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380.
- Place the cut sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket in an even layer.
- Air fry sweet potato fries for 7 minutes.
- Toss by shaking the basket or flip the sweet potatoes and continue to cook the fries for another 5-6 minutes or until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Serve while still warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g